Thursday, October 23, 2008

Tallinn, Estonia

We went to Tallinn, Estonia this weekend.  It was amazingly beautiful! Tallinn is an old medieval style city. The people there were really nice and the scenery was picture perfect. That is about the only exciting thing that happened lately.  Nothing has changed, I'm still really busy all of the time.  My Russian class is getting hard and I have to study a lot to remember all of the different cases and grammar rules, not to mention the twenty different Russian words there are for one English word.  But its all good.  My brain just aches everyday after class, so many things to remember.  My other classes are pretty bad actually, I'm not a fan of them.  History is terrible every time, Ethnic studies is interesting when the teacher is prepared and actually teaches instead of telling stores, and civilization is usually boring, but we have the occasional interesting discussion.  But I don't really care about those classes anyway, I'm only here to learn Russian.  

I've been volunteering teaching english at a local institute of foreign languages. It's fun, I enjoy talking with the students and helping them with their English.  And in return I get to practice my Russian, and meet interesting people. I usually go there at least twice a week, but sometimes three. Teaching, well it's not really teaching, they just like to have a native speaker, takes up a lot of my time during the week.  But I don't mind it because I get to do my homework and study were there are Russians to help me, plus they are really cool people. I also have a conversation partner that I'm supposed to meet once a week, but we're friends and we usually hang out whenever we have time.  Her name is Katya and she's a student studying tourism and hotel management.  I like her she's really fun to hang out with and she teaches me a lot of Russian.  

I'm having trouble finding time to write in my blog. I literally stay busy all day everyday.  I have to make myself write in it, but there is always something to do.  So sorry if I'm not updating very often.  I think it would be a good idea if you, whoever is reading, would comment and ask questions, or give me some ideas of what you would like me to write about.  There are so many things going on all the time, I don't know what you are interested in hearing about.  So if you have questions about something you've been wondering about, just ask. I'm open to all questions, whether its about my daily routine, politics, culture, people, places or whatever you can think about.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

MATT Did you take this picture? When I first saw it I thought It looked like a town in a fairytale story. Silly of me. You are one busy guy. I could ask a lot of question. Jp says too many. Do the people there think of americans as rude and spoiled people. On the lighter side do you miss good old southern ice tea,cold beer and Saturday football.

Anonymous said...

matt the comment was from cindy troha
still working on how to do this

Missy said...

I think Im going to request more pictures!!!

Anonymous said...

Are Russians talking about our historic election?

Anonymous said...

Is katya just a friend or a girl friend you have met? You know moms always ask crazy questions.
Mom

Anonymous said...

Matt Im a mon and I ask crazy questions also. So is she? You need to get your Dad a real russian
hat to wear when he comes for his visit. Will always remember the sking trip we took and he wore that russian looking hat. Great fun and a great time together